Wild Florida Photo Tour Results
Wild Florida Photo Tour Results 2011.
I just got back from Florida last week. It was a long but exciting trip. It started out on a bad note when the Patriots lost the Superbowl. Thankfully each day got better.
I spent many weeks preparing for this trip even though I have photographed Florida for almost 20 years. It is important to keep up with the recent wildlife reports. I check the internet, call and email other photographers, birders, biologist etc. I also monitor the water levels and tide charts.
I drove down a week early to scout out the area. I checked on some eagle, osprey and owl nests. Some of my most photogenic nests were vacant this year but I had other ones planned out.
The tip started off in Fort Myers. Participants flew into the Fort Myers Airport and took a shuttle to the hotel. This group was a lot of fun. I haven’t laughed so much in a long time.
The wildlife on this trip put on quite the show.
Some of the highlights were
- Roseate Spoonbills (multiple locations)
- Manatees (Everglades National Park and Big Cypress Preserve) one 10 feet away
- Alligators (multiple locations) including Baby Alligators
- American Crocodile
- Some of the herons, egrets, anhingas, wood stocks, vultures, and cormorants were so close they were able to get head shots.
- Pelicans: Both White and Brown Pelican were photographed. Some nesting, perched, and diving for fish.
- Bald eagles: (multiple locations)
- Nesting Burrowing, Great Horned and Barred Owls.
- Purple Gallinule (Multiple locations Everglades)
- Limpkin: (multiple days and locations)
- Osprey: perched, in flight, nesting (multiple locations)
- Red Shoulder Hawk (multiple locations)
- Black necked Stilt (multiple locations)
- Loggerhead Shrike
- Painted Bunting
- Watching hundreds of birds return to their rookery at night
- The beauty of the Everglades, Sanibel Island, Big Cypress Preserve
- Burrowing Owls (multiple nests)
- Great Horned Owls (two locations)
- A great sunset in the Everglades
- Reddish Egrets
- Ospreys nest building at Sanibel Island
- The vultures at Myakka
- Robert was Here: Tropical Drinks
It was sad to drop people off at the airport after the tour was over.
Thank you all for the memories and laughs.
You never know what you are going to see in Florida everyday is an adventure.
I can’t wait for next year.